Thursday, October 27, 2011

Making Mochi

I love mochi. I love the chewy goodness on froyo, around ice cream, in Filipino desserts, and in yummy Jamnese desserts. I also enjoy mochi in savory dishes like stir fry or wrapped in nori and sprinkled with furikake.

Anyhow, I was inspired to try and make my own mochi after a fun trip to Japantown with my love. There is a store there that has an array of mochi...Next time I'm there I'm definitely going to pick up a box of chocolate mochi - yum! Jon and I had lunch at this little kiosk that sold onigiri and tea. And while I was browsing I found a tray of Mochi! And it was from one of the best places around - Sheui-Do Manju Shop! I was so happy because theyre mochi is the best. It's the perfect size shape, texture. OH and they sell shave ice! Winner!

Little Wall of Mochi and My stash:



So. I decided to make some. And for instructions/ideas/support, I went to one of my fave blogs to read Just Jenn Recipes. She has a whole section on Mochi Recipes so check her out!

I decided to try out the PB&J Mochi. It's easy to make, just very messy and hot!

I made half pb&j and half nutella. yum! Here's most of the ingredients minus the sugar and water.


Before they're rolled into the ball shape:



Here's a nice round mochi =)

And here's a finished one!

Next, I want to make some fall inspired mochi - probably pumpkin and nutella - best combo ever!

Oh and this weekend, we're headed down to LA again to celebrate my birthday in Disneyland so I'm for sure going to make a stop at Mochilato for some yummy mochi gelato! Cant wait!



No comments:

Post a Comment